Just tried is on Snow Leopard and got an error on the -r argument so it must be new to Lion. For non-lion users I managed to prepending the rate command to the text using sed which worked fine:

curl -s http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=33617 | grep -A 2 tempActual | textutil -convert txt -stdin -stdout -format html | sed "s/^/[[rate 900]]/" | say

CB