Dear Esther

As always a very helpful post.
 I can confirm that after experimentation the numpad accessory that I bought
does indeed have the limitations that you describe. There is also a problem on
my particular device that there is no insert key or equals key. This means that
you cannot  use the equals keys to bring up menu bars and you would not be able
to use it in Fusion for windows   screen readers. I'll ha have to see how it
goes.I may end up using  one keyboard for serious  typing and writing and
another for navigating and housekeeping tasks on the Mac.   I have spent  the
serious money on the ergonomic keyboard now and this will I hope be justified
as I need to type 100,000 words over the next year.
I am sorry I confused you by posting to 2 lists.  I posted to the other list
first but after  a day in which there was no response I tried my luck on here.

Regards

David Griffith