Hello Paul,

I use the light detector app from Everyware Technologies (the developers of
TypeInBraille) to check lighting conditions before using Prizmo:
* Light Detector ($0.99) by Everyware Technologies:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/light-detector/id420929143?mt=8

As Anne said, the app plays a tone which rises with increasing light level in
the direction you point your iPhone camera. There's a Vision Australia podcast
by David Woodbridge about using Light Detector to check whether lights are on,
whether blinds need to be pulled, etc.  If you haven't subscribed to David's
"Apple and other Accessible Technology" podcast, you can download it from
either his podbean web site or feed:
http://davidwoodbr.podbean.com/
feed://davidwoodbr.podbean.com/feed/
Look for "Using Light Detector app with VoiceOver on the iPhone".  Other list
members use this app to check for which lights are on for washers or driers, or
to monitor the modem cable box lights.

You can even use this app to get a rough idea of how high above the page you
need to hold your iPhone for using OCR apps like Prizmo or TextGrabber.  If you
want to try this, place the paper on a flat surface, launch the Light Detector
app, and place your iPhone so that the camera lens (upper right corner) is
approximately centered in the page you want to scan, and the sides of your
iPhone are aligned parallel to the edges of the paper.  Then lift your iPhone
directly up, so that it is parallel to the table.   You should hear the tone
get louder as you lift, reaching a maximum between about seven to nine inches
above a standard letter or A4 page -- roughly twice the long dimension of the
iPhone.  This is only very approximate, by the way, and while you'll probably
want to use two hands to lift your iPhone for the OCR pictures, you can do this
experiment with the Light Detector app with one hand.  You should also be able
to move the iPhone towards you or away from you, or in circles at the height
where the tone is loudest when you lift directly centered on the page, and hear
the difference in sound.

And if I can't hear an audible difference in the sound level when I hold my
iPhone above the page I want to OCR, and when I move the iPhone from left to
right using the Light Detector app, while holding it at about height I'd use to
take a picture (about twice the height of the iPhone above the page -- doesn't
have to be at all precise), then I know that either there's not enough light
for taking a good picture, or else the light source might be blocked by
something -- e.g., if I'm standing between the window and the page.

I don't go through all this every time I use the Light Detector, but it may
help a first-time user to gain confidence in estimating how high the iPhone
should be held.  It also works to help you figure out how to adjust the height
you use for a smaller or larger piece of paper.

A lot of this is about getting close enough to the optimal settings to start
getting usable results.  Once you're in the ballpark, you can experiment with
how you use the Prizmo app to fine tune your efforts.

The instructions Anne posted were from last year -- pre-iOS 5.  Those people
who don't want to use headsets when using Prizmo with voice activation can
disable this and follow David Chittenden's instructions about either manually
placing his finger on the camera button and trying to take the picture with a
split tap with minimum shake, or using the new iOS 5 feature of pressing the
volume button on the side to take a picture.  You should also be able to press
the volume adjust button on the iPhone headset to take a picture under iOS 5.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther