Hi Lew,

The Light Detector app is $0.99, and works just fine for an iPhone 3GS,

* Light Detector ($0.99) by Everyware Technologies:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/light-detector/id420929143?mt=8

Here's the link to their support page:
http://www.everywaretechnologies.com/apps/lightdetector

As I mentioned earlier in my reply to Paul, David Woodbridge did a podcast
about using Light Detector to check whether lights are on, whether blinds need
to be pulled, etc.  You can download it from his podbean feed:
feed://davidwoodbr.podbean.com/feed/
Look for "Using Light Detector app with VoiceOver on the iPhone".

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther