I have this suspicion too!
For example: growl has, on its settings - i do not remember where-, a
button called preview which makes you listen the voice you are
choosing for notifications. With voiceover on, preview does not talk.
with voiceover off, preview talks and loops! till I do not close the
window I hear the preview message!
The strange thing is growl does not read notifications with other apps
too; I tried on line with Musicality support (musicality, an app to
listen to last.fm service) if growl notified me the song title
but nothing worked to me, the app creator, tried both with voiceover
off and on, getting a positive result of growl talking in both cases!
To complete information, I just tell you I am using OSX lion with
compact voice. Premium voice is the system's
or, maybe, should I deactivate system notifications, such as "should I
turn the computer off?" in system preferences,  voice?