Hi Søren,

That's interesting.  I'm using a MacBook Air with Lion.  When I go to full
screen mode by pressing command ctrl f in Safari, my toolbar is displayed even
if I have hidden it.  I can check this by navigating to the menu bar with
either ctrl F2 or VO m, then going to the "View" menu and arrowing down.  If I
check this menu before toggling to full screen mode, the first entry shows as
"Show Toolbar".  And in this mode, with my toolbar hidden, when I press ctrl
option l there is no downloads window displayed, even though VoiceOver says
"Show Downloads".  If I show my toolbar, either by using the "View" menu option
or the shortcut for toggling the toolbar between show and hide, which is ctrl
shift backslash on an English language input keyboard, then the downloads
window will show up when I press ctrl option l.

Similarly, making Safari run in full screen mode by toggling this on with
command ctrl f will also let my downloads window show up when I press ctrl
option l.  But what happens here is that my toolbar is forcibly shown when I'm
in full screen mode.  If I navigate to the menu bar and check the "View" menu
while in full screen mode, the first menu entry will show up as "Hide Toolbar"
and will also be announced as "dimmed", indicating that I can't change this.
Furthermore, I can test whether the toolbar is present by using the shortcut
ctrl F5 for navigating to the toolbar. When my toolbar is hidden, pressing ctrl
F5 will not take me to the toolbar, because it's hidden. As previously stated,
in this mode I can't see the downloads window when I press command option l.
If I show my toolbar, and am not in full screen mode, then pressing ctrl F5
takes me to the "Back button" of the toolbar.  Now, even if my toolbar is
hidden when I am not in full screen mode, once I press command ctrl f, and
VoiceOver says "Enter Full Screen",  it becomes visible.  If I press ctrl F5,
I'll be taken to the "Back button", and I check the "View" menu, "Hide Toolbar"
appears as dimmed.  And because the toolbar is now forcibly shown, even though
it was originally hidden when not in full screen mode, pressing command option
l now shows me my downloads folder.

I wonder if the difference in behavior, where I can view the downloads folder
when the toolbar is not hidden without having to run Safari in full screen
mode, is another one of those instances of English-specific shortcut key
mapping? I know that UK users are also able to view the downloads folder if
their toolbar is not hidden, without having to put Safari into full screen mode.

Cheers,

Esther