double tap the home button. this presents you with the app switcher.

now, to quit an app, single tap first to confirm your app to close, then double
tap but hold on the 2nd tap until you hear a chime and applications edit. as
soon as this has happened you can double tap on the app to quit. after you're
finished, press the home button twice to return to the main screen.

lew