To solve this problem, you mentioned that voiceover is not running or not
working? have you tried running voiceover? this may be a logon screen issue..

let me compile some suitable settings for voiceover stability which will assist
in your mac experience. please note that as you're using lion, some of my
settings notes may differ slightly but the instructions will be the same.

lew