Facebook makes extensive use of changing the layout when you move the mouse
around.  By default on the macintosh, the mouse follows where the voiceover
cursor is, so everytime you read a new post facebook changes things a bit.  I
believe what it is doing is putting a large copy of a persons cover picture in
the upper left corner of the screen.  It might also move the text focus to the
"add a comment" area of the post where the mouse is over.  This would also
change the voiceover cursor location.

I suggest a separate VoiceOver "activity" profile for facebook and equivalent
sights.  It is usually enough for facebook to just turn off mouse follows
voiceover cursor.

Another useful tip is that Facebook puts all of the status updates as Heading
level 6.

So hitting vo-shift-u and finding the header picker and then typing a 6 to
reduce down to just heading level 6 will let you quickly scan through status
updates.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn