Hi Alex,

In Lion and above cutting and pasting files is supported with the "move"
option.  You select your file or files, copy to clipboard with Command-C, then
move them to a new location with Command-Option-V.  For earlier version of Mac
OS X, we used the "moveAddict" application, which did, indeed, use Command-X to
cut and Command-V to paste.  That's still an option if you want to purchase it
from the Mac App Store.  (There is also a free, lite version of moveAddict if
you only want to move one file at a time.)

I should add that I haven't been using moveAddict in Lion -- only in Snow
Leopard -- and I didn't purchase the version from the App Store.  So I can't
check directly on the App Store experience with this utility.  (The developer
set up a separate VoiceOver friendly installation that you could download from
the web site).

I'll paste in the description of pasting files from Mac OS X Hints (July 2011):
Source: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=201107211337186
<begin quote>
Lion introduces a long-requested 'copy and move' command in Finder, similar to
'cut and paste' in Windows Explorer.

To move files in Finder first press Command+C to copy the selected files, then
press Command+Option+V to move the copied files to the current folder.
<end quote>

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther