Hi,

I too once felt like that. Back on my Windows machine, I had all my music
and audiobooks organised into folders in Windows explorer just the way I
liked them. I would just play them from Windows explorer.

But I got over that.

I had to switch to iTunes mainly in order to sync with my iPod and iPhone.
But I’m glad I did.

It’s been an involved an on-going process. It could’ve been a lot less
painful if I knew then what I knew now.

However, I reckon you should probably make the effort and get into iTunes.
It has all those cross fading and play list features you’re looking for,
plus a whole lot more. It’s really very good once you set it up properly
(i.e. tag all your media) and learn to use it.

I think the main things you need to get used to are:

1. Once you’ve tagged your media sufficiently, you don’t need to worry how
the files are organised in Finder. Because you’ll just access them through
iTuens. Even if things aren’t tagged perfectly, the search function is
fairly robust and you should be able to find most of your music. The
tagging can be a tedious process, but it will allow you to do some pretty
cool things with smart play lists etc once you’re done.

2. If you really want to keep your media files in your own file/folder
arrangement, it can be done. The settings can be found in the advanced
panel of the iTunes preferences. It should’ve make iTunes crash.

If you do decide to move your media into iTunes, I’d suggest reading the
host of articles on iTunes on the MacWorld website, or even downloading the
Take Control of iTunes book from www.takecontrolbooks.com/

Best,

Nic