Gavin,

I, recently, downloaded Main Stage too.  I did it for the Apple Jam Packs,
which are usable in Garageband as well.  I ran in to some of the same problems,
but eventually I got to a place where VoiceOver could tell me what was going
on.  Then, I spent an additional two afternoons downloading additional content.

Anyway, relaunch it, leave it alone, & it should resume that download.  After
it is done & installs the content, you should be able to interact with it.  As
for your poor connection, If it continues to fail, maybe you could go to a
friends with a better one?

Good luck,

CJ