Kawal, I was really hoping that this would get fixed in the newest update. I noticed this problem starting with Mountain Lion. The weird thing is that today I noticed that after checking my mail on my Macbook, when I looked at it again in Thunderbird on my windows machine, it was also marked as read. So I can't figure out whether this is a mail problem, improperly marking messages, or whether this is a VoiceOver problem, not reading the status correctly. If anyone has figured this out, I'd sure appreciate the info so I could report this accurately to Apple. It makes reading the mail not very pleasant any more, for sure. Thanks for bringing this up here.

Veronica

Watch and hear Veronica Elsea's Prayer for a Soldier at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoIhWrBHFI
Then find more music from Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
                Veronica Elsea, Owner
Laurel Creek Music Designs
Santa Cruz, California