I don't know if you can upgrade your machine to Mountain Lion or not
but with Mountain Lion, I just use the built-in system notification
stuff and don't even have Growl installed.  I have never used that
app.

As for Chrome vox, it may be the cdulprate here; it sounds like VO and
the native Apple stuff is stable as always.