From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Alex Hall
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:52 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Serious question about Mac vs. Windows

Well, if you have iOS devices there are more advantages, since things like
contacts, notes, calendars, and more sync to all your devices. You can, for
instance, do a lot of typing in reminders or contacts on the mac, and then
the changes will appear on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.

I'll not talk about the other advantages of the Mac, since they are
basically the same for sighted and blind users so any Gogle search can give
you more than I could think of. I will mention the cost of screen readers,
though: vo is free, whereas most Windows screen readers cost money. However,
the free NVDA screen reader nullifies this point somewhat.

I still don't like browsing the web on the mac as much as on windows, but I
have grown used to it. Still, I like the windows approach to the internet
much more (well, technically, I like windows scree readers' approaches to
it). Aside from that, and having less hotkeys in dialogs (balanced by the
ability to assign custom hotkeys to items in the dropdown menus), I can't
think of disadvantages except, of course, the price.

I use both Bootcamp and a virtual machine solution, so both avenues are open
to you assuming you have a license key for your copy of windows. I'm not
suggesting you have an illegal copy, I'm saying you will need the
25-character code to re-authorize your copy of windows if you want it to
work normally. You can find isos of Windows online and use them, but they
will expire and you could run into some problems if that happens. The
bootcamp vs vm debate is also something I will not get into here, as it has
little to do specifically with the blind and so information you find online
will apply to you as much as anyone else.

If you have additional questions, let me know.
On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Shannon Gerdts <bambam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>   I'm a new subscriber as of today and would like to ask this direct
question without getting a lot of elitest Mac/Windows mentalities.  What I
mean by this is I would love to get some feedback from you guys on the list
about an unbiased bit of feedback on your experiences with the Mac.  I also
would like to know what you guys have experienced as being pros to the
switch from a windows machine to that of a  Mac system as well as cons if
there is any.  Have any of you used boot camp or another way of running
windows successfully on a Mac?
>   The reason I want to get this information is because my wife just
recently had her Toshiba laptop  give out on her after just three to four
years and is rather disappointed with her experiences in windows laptops so
she is tossing around the idea of a Mac.  However, before making the
decision to just jump into the decision she would like to get as much
information as possible and weigh the advantages and disadvantages first so
that she makes the best decision for her in the long run without being stuck
shelling out money on a system she won't like.  I ask about running Windows
in boot camp or through another avenue because she enjoys mudding and uses
VIP mud which is made only for windows so will likely need to use this in
the short term at the very least until she can find a client that works as
well with voiceover on the Mac.
>   I thank all responses you guys can give us and thank you all in
welcoming me to the list.

> Take care,
> Shannon Gerdts

Have a great day,