Hi Shannon,

It seems to me that the question of switching to a Mac from Windows is a little
more involved than just looking at the fact that a laptop quit after 3 or 4
years. Given the cost difference between Windows and Mac laptops, your
prospective purchase of a Mac would have to last you maybe twice as long as
that Windows laptop did, if you're concerned about bang for the buck. And given
the speed with which technology advances, I think it is highly doubtful that a
Macbook you buy today will be satisfactory in say, 7 years. Sure, the screen
reader comes with the Mac, so there is no cost there. But there are good free
or inexpensive alternatives on the Windows side that largely obviate the cost
advantage of the built in screen reader on the Mac. I have not tried Windows on
my Mac, so I can't comment on that aspect of your question.
What other things besides mudding does your wife do with her pc? And which
operating system and screen reader is she familiar with? Will she keep on using
those if she stays with Windows? If she uses something like Jaws and Win xp and
would now find herself needing to move to Windows 8 plus continually upgrading
Jaws, then the Mac with its learning curve might not be such a big deal, and
the cost of the Mac versus the ongoing cost of Jaws upgrades makes the Mac look
more attractive. If, on the other hand, she is ok with NVDA and Windows 7, or
System Access and Windows 7, then the question is, what advantage is there in
switching?

Mary

Mary Otten
motte...@gmail.com