Hello!

This has nothing to do with if it detects if you are home or not, it is
just that you have set it to run in background and it will until you stop
it. In iOS 6 there is feature that will stop it automatically after a while
anyway (you will hear it announced when it does) so it will not take
battery more than 15 minutes or so. There might be limitations on which
device models it does this, I think it needs at least 4S model.

You can always stop it from App Switcher and it is the best way if you want
to use all background features. Maybe someone on this list can help you how
to do it with voiceover.
There are other options too, you can find more info from here:
http://blindsquare.com/faq/#why-does-it-keep-talking