Jonathan, I have heard rumour that 3rd party applications wouldn't get you
to mayor and it would be shame if Foursquare API's would work that way. I
actually don't know. I don't play so much that I would know from my own
experience. I found some conversations that says that 3rd party apps has
just the same features:
https://getsatisfaction.com/foursquare/topics/3rd_party_app_checkins_vs_official_app

I have earned my badges by using BlindSquare.