All I can say is that I'm having the same issue and am interested to learn the
solution too.

John S

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kerri
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 1:30 AM
  Subject: mail authentication issue

  . Hello. I've been experiencing an issue in which every time I launch mail, I
receive the following message:
  Verify certificate. The identity  of pop.shaw.ca cannot be verified. The
certificate for this server  is invalid. You might be connecting to a server
that is pretending to be pop.shaw.ca"

  I researched this on google and they stated to
  1. Press show certificate.
  2. Click "trust"
  3. Click connect.

  However, when I follow these steps, it asks for my password but will not
accept said password. The only way I can utilize mail  is to click "connect"
every time the mail program is launched. I had this issue when I first got this
mac but the "trust" option quickly rectified it. Thanks for any help.