I have an idea but it is rather geeky and will require some shell scripting and
the use of a 3rd party ID3 editor that accepts command line functions. I'm
speaking in general terms right now byt what is basically needed is that all
your files are consistently named with track numbers in the same place in all
file names. Then a shell or Apple script could roll through each file and parse
the track number from the file name and then apply the ID3 tagger to update the
track number internally. On linux, I have used simple command line tools like
id3v2 to do the job but I believe id3 editor for the Mac can handle command
lines - I hope.

That free program id3v2 would require macport or homebrew to get it installed.

Hope these other ideas are of some value.