Hi,
As far as I know when you backup the system it takes what ever version of the
os is on the drive at that time and puts it in the restore point.
If you restore the system to a point that had Lion on it that restore will have
Lion on it when you run it.
If you then run a restore hat had 10.9 that will restore the 10.9 version of
the system on to your drive.
As far as selecting individual files out of a time machine backup I am not sure
how to do this.

Tom