I'm not dead certain of this but this is what may be happening:
I think Apple save Unix text files which means line end with just line feed.
Other OSs save files whose lines end with carriage return and linefeed.

If you want to bother, You might be able to search for carriage returns and
remove them.

I might do it like this:
in text edit
command f
control q, control m
(that is, first press control q, then press control plus m)
The replacement text should be nothing, or tab to it and make sure it is empty.
Then I think command a will press the replace all button.

Of course, you'll have to do this every time you open an MSDos or similar text,
Unless there's a quicker fix I do not know about.

Perhaps saving as some specific text format may work.

HTH
John S