Hi Sarah, Eileen, and Others,

Here are some tips on using the recipe clipping feature in the Mac version
of Paprika Recipe Manager.  As Laura described, you press the "Save Recipe"
button in the toolbar of the Paprika Mac app window to clip recipes from
web sites.  As a quick overview, you can navigate to recipes in web sites
in the Browser view either by using the Google search text field in the
HTML area to do a general search of recipe sites, and then select links
that you want, followed by using the "Save Recipe" button, or you can
select one of the web site links in the HTML area under the headings for
"Recommended Sites", such as "Foodnet.com", then search for the the recipe
you want at that site's web page, followed by using the "Save Recipe"
button to clip the recipe.

Alternatively, since the Browser's "Getting Started" HTML page with
information on how to get started with clipping recipes, the general Google
search field, and the links to popular recipe sites only loads up when you
first launch the Browser view, you can also navigate to the Google search
text field on the window toolbar, or use the Bookmarks button on the window
toolbar to navigate to popular web sites (including favorites that you
add), and then use the "Save Recipe" button on the toolbar to clip recipes.
 This may be a little less convenient than using the corresponding
locations for search and links in the startup browser HTML area unless you
set an application specific hotspot for these locations, since there are no
pre-existing keyboard shortcuts for navigating to the Google search field
or to the Bookmarks on the toolbar of the Paprika Recipe Manager app in
Browser view the way there are for Safari, but it only takes a few VO-arrow
key presses (or flicks if you use the Trackpad) to move between the HTML
area and these buttons on the toolbar.   If you prefer to use the "Getting
Started" startup HTML page to navigate, you can always move back to it by
using VO-Up arrow from the HTML area to navigate to the Browser's "Back"
button, VO-space until you get to the beginning, and focus moves to the
"Forward" button, then VO-Left arrow back to the (dimmed) "Back" button and
VO-Down arrow to return to the HTML area.  (Note: I had to use VO-slash to
label the four toolbar buttons to the right of the Paprika window's
"Minimize", "Close", and "Zoom" buttons.  These are "Back", "Forward",
"Bookmarks", and "Refresh". The remaining toolbar elements to the right of
these buttons are the URL address field, the "Browser - Paprika" view
identifier, the "Search" text field, and the "Save Recipe" button.)

Here are a few detailed examples of how to clip recipes, written with new
users or those who don't yet have the Mac app in mind. Switch from the
Recipes view to the Browser view with VO-Down arrow to the "Browser" check
box and VO-Space. VO-Left arrow to the HTML content, and interact to read
the "Getting Started" instructions.

You can launch your first search from within the HTML area instead of from
the toolbar. If you have Quick Nav turned on, and you have enabled single
letter navigation under VoiceOver Utility in Commanders under the Quick Nav
tab by checking the box, you can use all the standard web navigation
shortcuts (e.g., "h" to move to the next header or "f" to move to the next
text field). So, press "h" to move through the headings for "Getting
Started", "How to clip a recipe online", and "Search for recipes". Or press
"f" to move directly to the "Google Recipe Search" text field under the
"Search for recipes" heading, then toggle Quick Nav mode off (by
simultaneously pressing the left and right arrow keys) so you can type in
the text field.  Using this field, your search will not specify any
particular recipe sites, so if I type in text, such as "Latin Black Bean
Soup", and then either press "Return" or navigate to the "Search" button
and press it, I'll get a Google search of many different recipes sites,
with links to results within the HTML area. Navigate through the heading
links of the results and activate the one that you want.

Now, to just read the recipe content instead of browsing the web page in
the HTML area, you VO-Left arrow twice, out of the HTML area to the
"Recipes" check box and then to the "Save Recipe" button, and press this
button with VO-space. Then you can simply navigate to the pane that now
contains the information clipped from the recipe to view the contents.  Not
all fields may be filled in, and in particular you will want to press the
"Categories" button to assign this recipe to an organization category of
your selection, like "Soups", "Main Courses", "Deserts", "Salads", etc.
 This assumes that you have previously created categories under the
"Recipes" section of the app using the "Add Category" button -- otherwise
the table under the Categories button will be empty, and you will have to
edit the recipe later by finding it under the "Uncategorized" category.
 Press escape to leave the table pop up.

You can navigate to and read the ingredients and directions.  If the site
has additional Nutritional Info, or you want to add Notes, you can also
select and examine those tabs.  Navigating to the "Done" button at the end
and pressing it will save the recipe to your Paprika library.  You can also
shortcut this by pressing "Return" to save and "escape" to cancel and leave
this dialogue window. The actual clipping process is very fast, especially
if you choose to read the recipe content from the "Save Recipe" dialogue
window instead of the web HTML content in order to decide whether you want
to save it.  You don't actually have to wait for the full web site contents
to finish loading to get the clipped content up for view with the "Save
Recipe" button.  It's worth adding the category at this time, but most
other editing changes, such as rating the difficulty or prep time for a
recipe, if this is not already present, can be added later.  Since the
source URL of the recipe is automatically filled in, you don't even need to
note this, unless there are comments about the site that you want to add
under the Notes tab. If there is nutrition content in a format that can
automatically be recognised, it will also be added on the nutrition tab.

Even the process of switching back to "Recipes" view to add a recipe
category before specifying this using the "Categories" button in the "Save
Recipe" dialogue window is pretty fast. If you didn't create categories
(e.g., if you started browsing to clip recipes as your first use of the
Paprika app so the table of categories is blank), or if you decide you want
a new category that isn't in the table, you can switch to the "Recipes"
view, add the category, then switch back to the "Browser" view and press
the "Save Recipe" button again to get back to the dialogue window with the
clipped recipe content and proceed with saving.  The keystroke sequence
would go like this: press escape to leave the categories table pop up, then
press escape again to leave the "Save Recipes" dialogue window. Switch to
"Recipes" view either by using the "View" shortcuts (Command-1 for Recipes,
Command-2 for Browser, etc.) or by navigating to the check box option for
you desired view in the sidebar and activating it. After pressing two
escapes, I can VO-Right arrow to the Recipes check box, VO-Space to switch
to "Recipes" view, VO-Right to the "Categories" table, use the
Command-Shift-N shortcut to add a new category. VO-Left back to the
"Recipes" check box and VO-Down to the "Browser" check box and VO-Space to
change views, then VO-Left back to the "Save Recipes" button and press it
with VO-Space to get back to the "Save Recipes" dialogue window again to
resume your review/editing.  The actual navigation process is faster than
the description.  Also, for new Mac users who are used to the iPhone, the
above navigation can be performed with Trackpad gestures (if you're using a
Mac laptop or a Desktop Mac with an Apple Magic TrackPad connected via
Bluetooth).  Just substitute right flicks on the TrackPad for VO-Right
arrow and down flicks for VO-Down arrow.  Interact with the HTML area with
a two finger flick right.  Double tap to press buttons and activate links
instead of using VO-Space. The help menu (VO-H-H, then TrackPad Commander)
lists the equivalent gestures.

The first example used a general Google search of all recipe sites to find
and save a recipe. Another way to search for recipes is to select a web
site from the HTML area of the startup page for the browser and then type
in a text search at that web site.  If you are starting on the browser app,
you can simply navigate to the heading for "Popular Sites" and then select
a link to one of the listed sites, like "Foodnet.com".  If you used the
general search field and saved (or decided not to save) a recipe, and you
want to navigate back to the browser startup page, VO-Right arrow from the
"Save Recipe" button to the HTML area and then VO-Up arrow to the "Back"
button. (Note, this is one of the buttons I had to label, as described
earlier.)  Keep pressing (VO-Space) the "Back" button until you reach the
first page, at which point focus will move to the "Forward" button.
 VO-Left arrow back to the "Back" button and VO-Down arrow to the HTML
area. If Quick Nav is on, navigate to the links for listed sites (for
example, move to the "Popular" heading pressing "h", and then explore the
links)  and activate one of your choice.  Generally, there will be a search
field for that web site, so you can press "f" and type in your search text
(after turning Quick Nav off), then press "Return" to launch a search.
 You'll have to navigate the links of results to choose a particular recipe
web page, but then you can VO-Left arrow twice to the "Save Recipe" button,
and proceed as before to read the recipe content in the dialogue area with
the option of saving it.

Finally, you don't need to run your searches or selection of linked sites
from within the HTML area.  That's simply a way that I've found convenient.
  Alternately, you can select your web sites from the "Bookmarks" button on
the toolbar of the Paprika Recipe Manager window.  Then move to the HTML
area and do your search, select your recipe links, etc. and navigate back
to the "Save Recipe" button to clip your recipe as before.  If you have
come across a recipe web page in Safari that you want to clip in Paprika,
you can also copy the URL from Safari (Command-L then Command-C) and
Command-Tab to switch to the Paprika App, then navigate to the URL address
field on the toolbar of the Paprika Browser view, paste this in, and press
"Return" to go that page and proceed with recipe clipping.  These are just
a few different ways to clip recipes using the "Save Recipe" button feature.

The Paprika Recipe Manager Mac App is convenient to have for recipe
importing, but also because it's easier to integrate many other functions
and sources, such as consolidating older scanned recipes, importing recipes
from other Mac apps like MacGourmet, Sous Chef, Yummy Soup, etc. Adding
annotations, and working with other paired devices, or doing any
keyboard-specific work.  Yes, you can cut and paste content.  It's also
possible to bulk import existing text recipes directly into the iPhone or
iPad app if you format them with keywords, and then use iTunes file
sharing, but it's not so easy to get the formatting right the first you try
this, so even this type of recipe importing is easier to learn how to do in
the Mac app version.  And the big plus of Paprika Recipe Manager over other
good recipe apps like MacGourmet is the quality and reliability of its
cloud syncing with iOS devices.  This is something that apps like
MacGourmet still haven't managed to get right.

Finally, a response to Alex's comment about the desirability of being able
to use a web site interface like Pepperplate.  There are design trade-offs
in any apps.  One advantage of Paprika Recipe Manager over simply storing
your recipes as text files in Dropbox is that it is using a database
structure rather than simple file structures.  That is easier to set up
under individual user accounts in the Mac app.  What this gets you are the
functions that are built into the database relational structure as part of
the app.  This includes features like the integration of the recipes with
meal-planning and calendars, or nutrition information, along with the
shopping list functions, and is one of the reasons I like the Paprika
Recipe Manager app on iOS.

There are probably more ways of navigating and using the Paprika
application, so others may wish to post their suggestions.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther