Yes. You can't have your iCloud address replace an email address that's
already there as iCloud is an ID itself.
The article does say that.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Cheryl Homiak
Sent: Friday, 21 February 2014 11:35 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Changing from Gmail to iCloud

okay, so does this mean my icloud email address cannot become my primary id
that replaces the gmail one? Or does it mean that it can be used
interchangeably with my gmail one and so I could just drop the gmail one?
Would I lose purchases if I dropped the gmail one unless I replace it with
another ID that is different from my icloud one?

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day:
"This I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord
never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness."
(Lamentations 3:21-23 ESV)

On Feb 20, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Tim Kilburn <kilbur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cheryl,
>
> According to Apple, you are totally able to change the eMail address
associated with your Apple ID.  To see details, visit:

> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5621
>
> The main thing to note in here is the conditions up front.  One of them
being that it can't be an iCloud account as the iCloud account is actually
already an Apple ID.

> Later...
>
> Tim Kilburn
> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>
> On Feb 20, 2014, at 1:05 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cahom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of questions about this.
>>
>> 1. I could leave my gmail account open if I do this and use forwarding
through icloud and keep my gmail address as my Apple ID. If I really wanted
to eventually get rid of gmail, is there a way to change Apple ID that then
would put all of my purchases under the icloud apple id or would I always be
having to sign in with the old gmail id to get those purchases?

>> 2. I found an article that talks about copying your email to cloud
folders (probably talks about copying instead of moving so you don't make a
mistake and then find your mail is gone forever!), then getting what is left
in All Mail,  and it talks about going into gmail and making sure your
emails only have one label so you don't get duplicates. Is that still
relevant advice and if so, how do you go about checking on the labels or
should one just leave it alone and let there be duplicates though it would
be better not to have them. Here is the article I found at Lifehacker; it is
from 2011.

>> Article from Lifehacker
>> You can start fresh with your new iCloud account, but maybe you want
access to your email archives all in one place. In that case, you'll have to
migrate your current Gmail inbox over. It isn't the quickest process, but
we've found that plugging both accounts into an IMAP program--like Apple's
Mail--makes it fairly straightforward. Just make sure you follow the
instructions below to the letter. Read through them first, so you understand
what you're doing, and then go through each step, one by one. If you make a
mistake, you could severely confuse your iCloud inbox and have to start
over. Here's what you'll want to do:P

>>      * First, set up both Gmail and iCloud in Mail.app. Setting up Gmail
is easy, and creating a new iCloud email address is as simple as going into
System Preferences > iCloud, signing in with your Apple ID, and creating a
new Mail account. It should show up in Mail when you're done.
>>      * Let Mail download all your messages. You'll see all your Gmail
labels set up as folders. Note that iCloud doesn't use labels like Gmail
does, so you'll need to go into Gmail and make sure all of your messages are
assigned only one label--otherwise, you'll get duplicate messages in your
iCloud account.
>>      * When you're ready to migrate, head into Mail.app and click on
Gmail's "Sent Messages" folder. Go to Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.
Repeat this process with the Deleted Messages folder as well.
>>      * Now, you're ready to start moving messages over. Start with the
inbox. Go to Gmail's inbox in Mail.app and select all the messages within.
Right-click on them and hit Copy To > Inbox > iCloud. This should copy all
those messages over to iCloud's inbox. Do not drag and drop the messages;
that will remove them from Gmail, which we do not want yet.
>>      * Repeat this process for each of your user-created folders--that
is, all your Gmail "labels" except All Mail, Important, Starred, and Spam.
Create a new folder on the iCloud account (by right-clicking on the iCloud
inbox and hitting "New Mailbox), click on the corresponding folder from your
Gmail account, select all the messages, and copy them to the new iCloud
folder. Be sure to copy over all your sent messages, too, even though
they're a Gmail-created folder! Note that if one of your folders is
particularly big, you may run into some errors when copying messages. If you
get an error, delete all the messages in the iCloud folder you're trying to
fill and try the copy again. After another try or two, it should work.
>>      * When you're done, you should have a good portion of your messages
migrated to the iCloud account. The only messages missing will be the ones
that didn't have a label, and weren't in your inbox or sent messages folder.
To migrate these, we'll need to delete everything we've migrated so far, and
move them from the "All Mail" folder into a new "Archive" folder in iCloud.
So, go back to your Sent Messages, Inbox, and other user-created labels and
delete all those messages--using the Mail.app interface--from your Gmail
account.
>>      * Lastly, copy everything from the All Mail folder in to iClouds
Archive folder, as you did with the other folders. When you're done, your
inbox should look just like it did in Gmail, and you're ready to start using
iCloud Mail.
>> If you want to undelete those messages from your Gmail account just in
case, you can head to the Gmail web interface, select all the messages in
your Trash, and move them to your inbox. Then, re-archive them all in case
you want to move back to Gmail later

>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Cheryl
>>
>> I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
>> I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
>> thrown in the trash!
>> Then God gave me a new heart and life:
>> His joy for my despairing tears!
>> And now, every day:
>> "This I call to mind,
>> and therefore I have hope:
>> The steadfast love of the Lord
>> never ceases;
>> his mercies never come to an end;
>> they are new every morning;
>> great is your faithfulness."
>> (Lamentations 3:21-23 ESV)
>>

>> On Feb 19, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Tim Emmons <temmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Terresa, I appreciate you getting back to me. I didn't see this
before I posed my other question, Lol. zI want to change my email and
hopefully not have to change my apple Id, sort of leave it the way it is
since I'm getting my iTunes match under that Id and what not, but just
trying to make mail a tad bit more manageable. Thanks for giving  me the
suggestions though and i'll definitely be doing that in steps, it might be
easier that way. Thanks again and sorry for sounding like a newbie, but just
trying to get it all figured out. Take care and talk to you soon.

email groups over, but decided to leave the facebook and a couple of lists
on Gmail. I'd suggest doing it in steps. For many groups, such as Gmail and
Yahoo, there are instructions with page links for how to change your
subscription. Most iCloud stuff can be set up in mac Mail, except for mail
filters, which, if you want to use mailboxes across your devices, you''ll
have to set up on the iCloud Mail website, which is:

because since all my devices now are apple products and I use iCloud
constantly now. Is it difficult to possibly move everything over, and say
change email for Facebook and all that good stuff? Just curious, I've not
configured iCloud enough times yet to know the ins and outs. Thanks and take
care.