Hi,

I'm only a year into using the Mac and still use Windows as well but
here's my take on it.  While it can be a bit time consuming and fiddly
sometimes interacting with several layers I can see benefits to the
approach as well.  For example, in Windows you have several different
keystrokes to accomplish similar goals to the VO interacting thing
i.e. accessing different parts of the screen.  e.g. if you wanted to
access a toolbar on Windows (if you could access it) you would need to
sometimes press Control Tab or sometimes use something like the
JAWS/WE cursor.  Whereas on the Mac, assuming the particular app is
accessible, you just move around the screen and pick which part of it
you want to use.  I also think requiring us to interact with different
elements of the screen can give us a little more understanding of the
different visual elements which are present, which can help
particularly when working with sighted people.  e.g. instead of
remembering in Windows ok if I press Alt space that gets me into the
menu where there's options to maximise/size the window, I can just
explore around the screen to verify/remind myself of what's actually
visually present.  LIke I say, I can see pros and cons but these are
some of the pros in my opinion.

Catherine

On 2/27/14, Lee Jones <leejones...@sky.com> wrote:
> Dear List I wondered if some kind soul could explain the concept of
> interaction on the mac.  On podcasts you get taught how to use it but not
> what the underlying premise is behind it.  What are the benefits of setting
> up a screen reader this way.  I find interaction an irritation.  On windows
> in outlook I'm immediately in the messages list I don't have to interact
> with the list first.  To me it just feels like interaction is always another
> keystroke between me and where I want to get to.
>
> Many Thanks Lee

Twitter:  CTurner1980
My blog:
http://catherineturner.wordpress.com