On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Aleksandr Koltsoff wrote:

> On Thursday 27 October 2005 10:45, Ferenc Szekely wrote:
> > ext Timo Savola wrote:
> > > How about providing Debian packages (i386 and powerpc) of the flasher?
> > yes, it is the license that prohibits us to distribute the tool in a
> > debian repo. we could place the deb packages to the same place, but it
> > does not help much, i guess.
>
> How about placing the deb packages somewhere where people download the SDK
> from? Should probably be a separate directory with a README that would note
> that the deb is not meant to be installed within SDK env. It would help
> though.
>
> Other possibility is making a separate deb repo for tools that one would find
> useful when developing on debian, but since flasher is the only tool at the
> moment, that might be an overkill.
>
> ak.

I think that Timo wanted a debian repo that could have been put to a
sources.list and installed with apt-get. Single debian package that would
be downloaded via web page and installed to host with dpkg (after
click-through license agreement) is IMHO quite pointles because then it
would require one step more to use the flasher.

On the other hand if at install phase license agreement would be enough to
satisfy legal issues it could be provided by debian repo. Then if user
disagrees with the license installing would fail or something. I'm not
sure that this would satisfy legal issues but would be doable from
technical point of view. Of course using dpkg-deb to package would mean
that user can access the binary without accepting the license ;)

--
Valtteri Rahkonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]