On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 03:42:04PM +0300, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Aleksandr Koltsoff wrote:

> > > yes, it is the license that prohibits us to distribute the tool in a
> > > debian repo. we could place the deb packages to the same place, but it
> > > does not help much, i guess.
> >
> > How about placing the deb packages somewhere where people download the SDK
> > from? Should probably be a separate directory with a README that would note
> > that the deb is not meant to be installed within SDK env. It would help
> > though.
> >
> > Other possibility is making a separate deb repo for tools that one would
> > find
> > useful when developing on debian, but since flasher is the only tool at the
> > moment, that might be an overkill.
> >
> > ak.
>
> I think that Timo wanted a debian repo that could have been put to a
> sources.list and installed with apt-get. Single debian package that would
> be downloaded via web page and installed to host with dpkg (after
> click-through license agreement) is IMHO quite pointles because then it
> would require one step more to use the flasher.
>
> On the other hand if at install phase license agreement would be enough to
> satisfy legal issues it could be provided by debian repo. Then if user
> disagrees with the license installing would fail or something. I'm not
> sure that this would satisfy legal issues but would be doable from
> technical point of view. Of course using dpkg-deb to package would mean
> that user can access the binary without accepting the license ;)

Actually, I wanted none of those things.  I want a Debian package that
shows up in the dpkg database (with proper version information) so that I
don't have any unaccounted-for files installed on my system.

Downloading a file using a browser and installing it with dpkg is as easy
than adding a line to sources.list, updating and installing.  (I suspect
that the flasher isn't going to be updated very often.)

(If such a package would be provided, then the name of the executable
and the package should be something more Nokia/OSSO/Maemo/770-specific
than "flasher.")

timo