Hi,
Well the Nokia maemo team won't care until they get a product program that requires Java (that's my hunch :-)

Yes, there is no reason they wouldn't do it, and we all await Nokia Maemo's coming to Java. They might be waiting for the community to put up all the basic work in the mean-time though...

It all depends whether they go for MIDP or OSGI, or both. OSGI requires CDC, whereas MIDP only requires CLDC. But with such a screen size (and probably future ones as well), they can do much better than just MIDP.

Then there is also the enabling of Hildon apps dev in Java.

Regards,

Philippe Laporte
Software
Gatespace Telematics
Första Långgatan 18
41328 Göteborg
Sweden
Phone: +46 702 04 35 11
Fax:   +46 31 24 16 50
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Luis Montes wrote:

We could really use some direction from Nokia here.
Jamvm, SableVM, GIJ, maybe even ikvm, could all likely be made to work with a subset of gnu classpath to implement CLDC 1.1 and a hildon based MIDP 2.0 But if we really want to run java effeciently, we should use the Jazelle hardware on the ARM chip. This part is not free and would require Nokia to put out the jvm. There is no reason Nokia couldn't put out the jvm and use it along with open source class libraries.

Luis

Philippe Laporte wrote:

Hi,
I have just joined this list so please forgive whatever sounds ignorant.

For the choice of VM I would recommend SableVM, as with its recent refactoring I built it down to 220 K on Intel with gcc -Os etc.

Check out SableVM at www.sablevm.org.

We at Gatespace are the people behind Knopflerfish OSGI. I test-drove Knopflerfish's test suite with JamVM and SableVM (both use Classpath), the results were the same, and the speed was comparable. Haven't measured memory consumption yet. We target CDC, so our constraints with respect to that are less strict.

Classpath's AWT of course runs on top of GTK+.

I argue for Sable instead of Jam because:

- Sable has a large and active community
- Sable is LGPL. GPL does not work for maemo. Read why at http://sablevm.org/wiki/License_FAQ.
- Sable has an almost complete JIT compiler.

Someone needs to put in a build option to Classpath to make it build CLDC only, or any other profile.

As for the MIDP implementation, someone is working on it (announced on the wishlist).

Best Regards,

Philippe Laporte
Software
Gatespace Telematics
Första Långgatan 18
41328 Göteborg
Sweden
Phone: +46 702 04 35 11
Fax:   +46 31 24 16 50
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Right. Most work for that port would be in:
- choosing JVM,
- create CLDC implementation,
- create graphics support (MIDP part) to GTK+.

Regards,
Bartek Teodorczyk