On 4/5/06, Aaron Levinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In order to get an empty menu structure, all I did was use ./configure
> without any options.  An examination of the source code demonstrates that
> it uses the OTHERS_MENU_CONF_DIR define for the default menu location on
> disk, and OTHERS_MENU_CONF_DIR gets defined as $(sysconfdir)/others-menu.
> When using ./configure without any options, $(sysconfdir) (along with
> other directory variables) starts at /usr/local, and the 770 file
> structure doesn't use /usr/local for anything.  At run-time, because it
> cannot find the others-menu directory, no menu entries are displayed.
>
> Too bad the others-menu location is hardcoded this way.  Seems like it
> might be appropriate to use gconf for this.

I think you mean "Too bad the others-menu location is build-time
configurable" as that's what it is...?

If you build to a different prefix (/usr/local) and the apps install
their stuff in another prefix (the usual /etc), is it really a
surprise they are not found?

In any case you need a predefined location for the .desktops (so that
app-devs will know where to put them), so what would be the benefit to
have it in gconf?

--
Kalle Vahlman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]