ext Andrey Khurri wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am now a bit puzzled with this repositories stuff. I've been always
> aware of that repository.maemo.org MUST NOT be used on a host
> workstation or PC. This is clear.
>
> However, how should I interpret all those warnings that this repository
> is 'ONLY' meant for using inside Scratchbox? This 'ONLY' sounds
> ambiguously to me when I look at i.e. ApplicationCatalog2006 and see
> there lots of packages meant for Nokia 770 device and available from
> repository.maemo.org. Doesn't this mean that repository.maemo.org should
> be included in /etc/apt/sources.list on Nokia 770 in order to get those
> packages installed?
>
> Or is the difference that one could fetch packages from
> repository.maemo.org and install them on Nokia 770 BUT could NOT use
> this repository to upgrade tablet (like 'apt-get upgrade')?

Correct. We need to look into organizing the repositories better
In most ideal and correct case, the apt-get upgrade from
repository.maemo.org should not do anything on the device so
validate perfect sync between packages on the device and packages
in the maemo repository. The problem starts from the fact that
maemo integration team takes these packages from internal package
repository for device and then
- reorganize them in a different (free/non-free) components then available
  internally
- some source packages are cleaned to meet legal requirements (these cleanup
  patches are filled as bugs in internal bugzilla, but sometimes not
applied internally
  promptly, causing a different versions of binary packages produced)
- some device binary packages are replaced with  packages delivered
specifically
  for maemo e.g binary input method, themes, bitmaps, multimedia (codecs
etc)

>From this repo, then the developer rootfs is produced, in idea case,
apt-upgrade on
this developer rootfs should be OK.

> I was also thinking that any package installable inside SB environment
> (in an armel target) can be installed on Nokia 770? If this is right can
> the same repositories be used both inside SB and on N770?

The problem is with upgrade :( I have put this on the agenda to be
discussed and fixed.

that doesnt help very much, but atleast hopefully clarify a few things
Devesh