On 1/11/07, Riku Voipio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Why shouldn't nokia then do like Apple, create a propiertary platform
and make it work exactly like people want it to, right out of the box?

Well, that's not what they did.

This theme seems to be recurring here. "Nokia isn't open/free enough,
so I'll rather choose a more propiertary PRODUCT".

Wrong. _I_ will not choose a more proprietary product. I have no plans
whatsoever to purchase an iPhone.

I, a Free Software proponent and developer, did however respond to an
ad from Nokia about  their upcoming, open, linux-based handheld device
and was very surprised to learn that, for example, power management
(pretty basic component on a batter-powered handheld) relied on
proprietary software.

It's not such a big loss for me because I only spent $99. It's a
little bit more of a big deal for users now, though, because they
bought a device for more like $450 which now looks like it will be
largely abandoned by the company that released it w/ much fanfare,
even though they'd only have to open it up the rest of the way for the
community to continue to produce _full_ FIASCO images which any user
could just install and use, out of the box, just like Apple's device.

There is far more
than enough information and code to create your own, 100% Free
rootfilesystem.

But not power management.

Specifics please? What code/documentation are you missing and what would you
create with them? And how are going to do the same things with iPhone?

Code for the DSME so we can build custom firmware images where the
power mangement works. Code for (insert proprietary component here) so
we can experiment, and as a community, release a software image which
does _anything_ we can collectively imagine, to the device's _full_
potential.

Dave