> And now that I've learned all that much, I created the wrong symlinks: I
> cp'ed /usr to the MMC, and then made the wrong link: ln -s /media/mmc2/usr
> /usr. Yes, now I know it should be the reverse way, but do not understand
> why.

That's it! Don't warry about. You have option to symlink whole directory:
  ln -s /usr/bin /media/mmc2/usr/bin
or every particular file per se. Also, if your "home" is on mmc, add "bin"
directory to the path. Then copy files from /usr/bin to /home/user/bin.

> My device is just now reflashed.

Cool! Have you started to breath again?

> what to do to be able to install them on the MMC instead of on the 770's
> internal memory.

I expected it as default. My collection is small, but who knows?

                                 Zoran