On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Ferenc Szekely wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The maemo team proudly announce the newest development environment for
> Nokia 770 Internet Tablets: maemo 2.2 'gregale'.
> This release supports development for the latest OS 2006 Software
> Edition. Maemo 2.2 is based on the latest Scratchbox Apophis R4
> cross-compilation environment.
>
> For installation instructions please see the tutorial:
> http://www.maemo.org/platform/docs/tutorials/Maemo_tutorial.html
>
> More info on the release:
> http://maemo.org/downloads/releases.html#maemo22
> http://repository.maemo.org/stable/2.2/Maemo_Dev_Platform_v2.2_relnotes.txt
>
> Wishing you happy hacking on behalf of the team:
> Ferenc

It's great to see a new 2.x SDK release that runs on the same version of
scratchbox as the 3.0 SDK, but my main concern is will packages created
with the new SDK work on maemo 2.0 and 2.1 platforms?  When the
2.1/scirocco SDK was released, because of auto-generated dependency issues
in the package, packages created with the 2.1 SDK would not generally work
on 2.0 platforms.  As such, it has been best to continue to use the 2.0
SDK to build packages that will work on both 2.0 and 2.1 maemo platforms.

Now, we have a new 2.2 SDK, and I suspect that we will run into the same
dependency issues.  Are developers going to be continued to forced to use
the 2.0 SDK in order to build packages that support all 2.x platforms (and
as a result, continue to maintain the older scratchbox installation)?
Perhaps there can be some way to configure the 2.2 SDK such that it will
generate package dependencies for older 2.x releases.

Aaron