On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 10:28 +0100, ext Graham Cobb wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 09:43:31 Ed Bartosh wrote:
> > Now we have the same situation with rebuild. Niels is asking developers
> > to fix their packages, but I don't see much progress with this either.
> > We have only 10% more buildable packages for more than week of this
> > action.
>
> A week is a long time for someone funded to work on this full time.  It is
> nothing at all for people working on this in their spare time!

My opinion that tt's about 2 men days work to fix all build failures.
Niels can tell how many people uploaded packages to extras. And you can
see how many of them actually care to fix build failures. If each of
them would spend 1(one) hour during last week we would already have
almost all packages fixed.

> In my case, a big problem is dependencies which were previously uploaded into
> Extras without sources.  It would really help if you were to consider taking
> those packages which do not have sources and just copying the chinook package
> into diablo.  Or, at least, considering it as an exception process for
> specific packages!

Can I see the list? Did you ask community members to help you with this?

> I realise that we all want to fix Extras so it is fully buildable for source.
>
> The problem is timing.  Personally, I am very busy at the moment and am
> finding it hard to get time to research, port, build and upload packages
> which I have never touched but which are dependencies of my packages.  A week
> is nothing like enough -- at this rate it will be more like a month!

I understand that some of the people can be busy, but not all of them.

And it's not your fault that packages were uploaded without sources and
now people don't want to fix them. You're one of 4-5 active community
members, who actually participate in the process.

> If I had the dependencies I need, I am sure the GPE packages would build
> correctly straight away (they already do for chinook extras-devel).  And if
> there were problems I could fix them quickly.
>
> So, I don't disagree with the goal of requiring everything to build from
> scratch but it is going to hold up availability of my packages unless someone
> can help with the dependency problem.  Anyone funded by Nokia who can spend a
> bit of time on making some standard Debian packages available?

I tend to disagree with this. I think this task should be done by
uploaders, or they can say that they don't care about their uploads to
extras and someone else will do this.
I could easily do this work in my spare time, but I didn't do it just
because I want to see community working. I want to see that people are
interested in this, not only Nokia.

Regards,
---
Ed