On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Chris Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 12:05 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
>>
>> The WPotD for today is "Video encoding"
>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding - an article which, it seems to me,
>> is in dire need of reduction. From my own experience, the page should be
>> an instruction manual on installing tablet-encode and its dependencies,
>> and that's it.
>
> Have to vehemently disagree with this, I've referred to this page for
> the manual conversion instructions plenty of times, as it tells me how
> to use tools that I already have on my system and are useful for
> non-tablet cases too...

Should wiki.maemo.org /really/ be a handy reference guide to other
pieces of software for non-tablet use cases? Admittedly, I'm probably
biased as Dave name-checked my software.

IMNSHO, I'd say detail on the tablet-specific encoders: tablet-encode,
Nokia's ITVC, Media Converter and the other one (n800vc?) and links to
non-tablet specific encoders which either output tablet-compatible
out-of-the-box or have profiles for them.

> Maybe it should be split into simple/advanced sections perhaps, but a
> lot of that information is useful.

How to use ffmpeg/transcode/vlc/mencoder in general is best elsewhere,
IMHO. However, a detailed page describing the key issues and
requirements of tablet video is a good idea. Just not on this page.

Such a page should probably have a section per OS version saying how
the limitations moved forward with each one. Anyway, this should be
held on the talk page, rather than on the -dev mailing list.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.bleb.org/