I would not expect the lower precision of a capacitive touch screen to
be a barrier for the user if it's a small enough ratio, but you could
convince me otherwise. 2 or 4x seems doable.

So then the barrier is stylus usage.  Why do we want a stylus?  The cold
weather, physical and/or mental comfort, or difficulty performing
certain tasks with fingers only?

I think it would be interesting to correlate finger size, usage of
stylus vs. fingers, and most frequently used applications.  Maybe there
are certain UI elements which are acting as a barrier for people
switching from stylus to finger usage?  Mine is selecting links on web
pages.  This person has some suggestions:
http://www.videsignline.com/howto/display/209900585

But I suspect developers who are porting desktop applications would have
to put in even more customizations for the tablet if it had finger-only
input.  That is unless Nokia could intelligently hide all the additional
overhead, which may not be possible.