Hi,

Am Donnerstag 20 November 2008 schrieb Eero Tamminen:
> Could this be kicked out of extras so that people don't "launch" their
> devices to oblivion?
Just as a side note: I recently had this problem with the osso rss reader. It
took
me some time to figure out that it was the rss feed reader eating my battery
with a 100% cpu load even after a reboot (i was in fact already searching
for a cheap replacement battery on ebay). Deleting the rss feed folder
under /home/user resolved my problem. I didn't even remember that i
ever used and i am not using the rss home applet. So i was pretty surprised
to see it running at all ... not to mention the 100% cpu load it did ...

I am not saying this to blame anyone. Instead i am saying that this hasn't
anything to do with the extras repo. You just cannot prevent these things.

I also think like already suggested here that the solution is some monitoring
mechanism. If one of those units has a process running at 100% cpu load
for more than a few minutes there's sure something going wrong. So this
is IMHO the only way address the problem.

Unfortunately there's no fan on the n8x0 becoming noisy if the device is under
heavy load. So even a simple thing like a taskbar icon indicating a high cpu
load and being able to present something similar to the windows task manager
might help. People are used to this task manager, so it should be possible
to have them using it. But then again in my case they still need to be able
to prevent the rss reader from doing the same again after the next reboot ...

Till