On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tammi...@nokia.com> wrote:
> ext Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>> Do you think it can be made a generic dh_* like tool that handles this
>> automatically? This way it could be called from debian/rules as e.g.:
>>
>> maemo-python-optify /usr/lib/python2.5
>>
>> and the init scripts be generated automatically. What do you think?
>
> Are you suggesting that each python package would themselves do
> the bind mount?  And hide anything that was before in that directory?
>
> Saner solution is that the bind mount is done by something from which
> the package depends from (be it python package itself or something
> else).

No no, I'm just suggesting make it a generic, more automatic tool
(like maemo-optifier itself) that can be used by other bigger packages
that maemo-optify cannot handle generically (although I'm not aware of
any other cases). This is optional though, and for Python we will
handle it now instead of waiting for this tool to be written.

For Python, we will bind mount just the core python2.5 package. This
way, all packages that depend on python2.5 and install
modules/extensions to /usr/lib/python2.5 will benefit from it
transparently.

I should also remember that we have to handle packages that use
python-central/python-support too, as they move the extensions to
other places (directories under /usr/share/... and /var/lib/... IIRC).
They will be handled similarly as well.

We will also make sure all possible installation paths (fresh install,
upgrade from optified package, downgrade to non-optified package,
removal) are properly handled so that we can cleanly move in/out from
the "bind mount" solution and avoid upgrade breakages.

Regards,
--
Anderson Lizardo
OpenBossa Labs - INdT