On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Till Harbaum / Lists <li...@harbaum.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it seems that some of the extras-testing testers are not really
> doing a good job. Thus it seems to happen every now and then that some
> app gets a thumbs down for things it shouldn't be getting a thumbs
> down for or where such a verdict is at least questionable.

usually what you or I may think is unjustified matters to people.

> My proposal is simple: Let's setup some mailing list which
> only real developers are allowed to join (may just be everybody
> with a working app in any of the repositories). And once someone
> thinks to be the victim of a karma-whore he may ask for help on that
> list. If we have at least 10 people on such a list we can easily
> override any such thumb down. In such a case the developer would
> explain why he thinks the thumb down is not justified and if
> enough list members agree and help out the problem will be fixed.

the voice of the commons is generally to be listened to.
we put our apps into the community,
our apps are going on their devices,
why should we have more say than them?

a cabal of rebels overruling usually valid issues undermines the process for
everyone.

i have not updated any apps since finding out I also have to handle
optification and other issues.
i'm not upset at the mechanism though.

> Does garage allow for invitation-only mailing lists?

not sure

> What do you think? I really think it's wrong that testers can stop
> bad developers, but that there's no way for developers to stop
> bad testers.

that sounds like a freudian slip, its right that testers can stop bad
developers.

> Till

till, I know you are miffed about this process, we all have growing pains
with the new steps, but we want all our users to have the best experience
possible

gary