I agree with those.

> Sampo Savola, the author of ecoach suggested to think about a qt map
> widget. I am also interested in this as i am the author of osm2go, maep
> and gpxview. Who else would like to contribute to this? I'd like to
> make sure that such a widget satisfies most developers need to be able
> to address above issues with one single qt map widget.

It looks like the people at Qt are thinking of this as well.
http://qt.nokia.com/developer/qt-roadmap/ mentions Maps/Navigation API and
while the details are really scarce (it's only a roadmap, so that is expected),
it does state that:
"Provides an API to access maps, landmarks and route information for
navigation."

Now just to find some troll from Qt who could open that up a bit.

Tero