Mike Klein wrote:

I'm in the "no built-in cellular" camp - for me, this was a smart move as I can
use the N800 with whatever phone I have now (GSM/GPRS) and with whatever phone I get with
my next upgrade (almost certainly a GSM/HSDPA phone).

Nokia probably took a look at the data plans offered by most network providers
around the world, saw things were bad (ie. charging the Earth per megabyte with
all sorts of usage restrictions - no voip etc. - and transfer caps) and decided
the World simply isn't ready for mass consumer internet on the move over mobile
networks. In which case, why bother complicating the N800 with this potentially
unnecessary hardware? And aside from business users, few people will have
data-only SIMs when they can just as easily use their mobile phone over
Bluetooth.

Also, by adding cellular hardware the Internet Tablet suddenly becomes
regionalised - CDMA for USA/Korea, GSM for the rest of the world, not to
mention all the HDSPA/EDGE/EVDO/Whatever high-speed variants. Different
hardware and possibly different firmware for each region - nice!

:)