Hi,

Added CC to the developers list as I think this belongs there too.

ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:55:58PM +0100, Claudio Scordino wrote:
Never generate code with glade. NEVER. It's evil. glade-2 developers
recommend to use only .glade files and load them using libglade. Glade-3
doesn't support at all generating code.
Oh, now I see!

Can I have more information about why glade-2 messed up generating code files ? Wasn't the problem fixable at all ?

It is a generic problem when you use some UI tool/wizard to generate
source code, and then modify the source code.  If you later want to
tweak something, you have to do it in the code (inconvenient), or if you
use the same tool to regenerate code, you'll have to redo all your
modifications (painful).

There are many RAD tools which handle the round-trip (some less well
than the others).  AFAIK with Glade the issue was that it just doesn't
belong into Glade, it should be done by other, specialized programs.
For example each language which has separate Gtk/Glade bindings (C, C++
etc) could have it's own code generator tool.  Anyway, for interpreted
languages like Python, Ruby, PHP, Perl etc. loading the Glade file with
libglade is probably faster than the generated code that would be
interpreted.  And on Desktop reading the .glade files directly is fast
enough in itself I think, the problem is just embedded devices.

Also, C (in which Glade is written) is not exactly known to be best
language for doing language parses (for the round-trip), but e.g. Python
has actually several modules for writing language parses.

        - Eero