On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 09:59 -0500, Paul Klapperich wrote:
> If you just want to test the application runs, then it's fine just to
> copy the binary. Do the following:
>
> 1) Plug your N800 into your computer with USB. Copy the binary to the
> internal memory card
> 2) Install the XTerm application on the device
> 3) Open XTerm and copy the binary to your home folder ("cp
> /media/mmc2/hello_maemo ~")
> 4) Make hello_maemo executable ("chmod +x hello_maemo")
> 5) Run it ("./hello_maemo")
> When you're with your quick test, you can delete the hello_maemo
> binary ("rm hello_maemo")

Another way to get the file over to your device more painlessly is using
scp (well, painlessly after you get everything set up):

1) Install the OpenSSH server on the N800. Configure it sanely - I'd
suggest turning off password authentication and only allowing keypair
authentication.
2) Create a keypair on your computer. Copy the public key over to the
N800 and place it in /home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys2 (I am assuming you
are using a DSA key not an RSA key.)
3) On your computer, add the following lines to your ~/.ssh/config file:
Host N800
HostName n800.your.domain
Compression yes
CompressionLevel 3
ForwardX11Trusted yes
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11 yes
User user

(you can change the "Host" to whatever you want, rather than N800.
Likewise, you MUST change the HostName to whatever name maps to your
device on your network.)

4) You should now be able to ssh into the device, thus:
  ssh N800
Get that working before continuing.
5) At this point, you can copy the file over via the command line, thus:
  scp hello_world N800:/home/user
and you can run the command on the device. You can get fancy and put
this in your Makefile:
  .phony LOAD
  LOAD: hello_world
    scp hello_world N800:/home/user
  TEST: LOAD
    ssh N800 -C /home/user/hello_world
Then you can simply type "make LOAD" and the file will be build and
copied, or "make TEST" and it will be built, copied, and run.

6) Under Gnome, you can access the filesystem on your device via
Natilus:
  6a) Open a Nautilus window
  6b) Type "ctrl-L" to input a URL.
  6c) Type "sftp://N800/home/user"; and press enter.
Most Gnome programs can directly modify files via the Gnome-VFS layer
like this.

You can even access files as root, if you place your public key
in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2 and use the form "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" for the
hostname.

Of course, this assumes your device is on your local network and is
reachable by your computer and vis-versa.