>still not very attractive. For example, I like to use the hand writing
>input, but the panel is a big mass of black that not only looks bad, but

As Eero pointed out, maybe your theme is not what it is for all the others,
maybe
you have something misconfigured. Please try clean image without restoring a
broken backup.

>is harder to see the details of it. In the terminal program, I used to
>have green text on black, but while I can set the background to black, I
>don't see any way to change the text colour. It's always black. It would
>be nice, if the old styles was available.

So you want something that is retro rather than being easy for eyes, like
green on black -monitors in the 1970s?

> BTW, I don't need icons etc., that look like they belong on a child's toy.

Hmm. Do you have something against child's toys?

And are you saying that you would like to have
an user interface where everything would be presented as a tiny text rather
than as a visual
icon which gives a visual cue about what it is all about?

So are you wishing for a command line interface here instead of a graphical
user interface?
Sounds like you would be. Wishing a hacker-text interface from a commercial
product
intended for ordinary people that just want to have a mobile internet
experience,
is something I wouldn't be spending my spare time for, even most open source
community people wouldn't probably like
such interface on a device of this form factor unless you are into
retro-GSM-telephones from the early 1990s. Today it
wouldn't fly (IMHO). However, if you want to try, by no means your hands are
tied, in the free software World you can start
scratchbox now and do your own ultimate user interface e.g. with ncurses if you
like and even replace hildon-desktop with
it in your own device if you so prefer (it is quite easy task to do even) and
if you are totally lucky you might even
find some other users for your text-mode interface and it would be
no-icons-guaranteed.

Best Regards,
Karoliina