On 01/12/2012 04:17 PM, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
On Thursday 12 January 2012 21:25, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
what point is Johnny trying to make with his "hear, hear" for example?
As far as I understand, that is a common British thing to do when one agree
with the current speaker.
(Watch news reports involving the British government's debates, usually
involving the Prime minister, for some examples)
Another way I see people do the exact same thing is replying with "+1". "Hear,
hear" is the same thing.

Untill someone comes with valid claims that this have the exact opposite
meaning or to be offensive in another other country, I intend to keep using it.
:-)=

Your usage is correct, and it's used in American English as well. The intended meaning is "Hear (i. e. listen to) the speaker, because I find value in what he is saying".