Hi again.

I gave this some more thought over the weekend. For DB field changes, I
think the best approach going forward would be as follows:

When viewing a past revision of an asset, we first apply the diffs to
get back to the record as it actually was at the time.

We then apply the modifications that would have happened to that row as
a result of changes to  the database since that date (giving it default
values for fields that have been added and removing fields that are no
longer used). This would give us a version that should be able to be
passed to the current API without causing errors.

Hopefully, most of this could be achieved by tracking the DB structure
in a similar way to the record changes, but I think we'd need some sort
of hook functionality to allow for transformations that are more
complicated than the simple addition or removal of fields.

And lots of unit tests!

  Record page editing history

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  I'd like to "dogfood" Mahara's developer documentation by moving it
  from Mediawiki to the Mahara platform itself, probably as group pages
  so it could still be edited by many people. One of the features that
  is lacking to make this feasible, though, is having an edit history.
  The wiki allows us to keep track of who made what edits, and to revert
  to older versions if necessary.

  So, I'd like to see Mahara gain the ability to keep track of a page's
  edit history. At a minimum it needs:

  1. Who made changes, at what time
  2. What the page looked like at each revision
  3. Ability to revert the page to a previous version

  Also good would be:

  4. Ability to "diff" versions and highlight what changed
  5. Comments that go in the history log
  6. "Publish" ability (including publishing at a later time/date)
  7. Versioning file attachments, see also
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/548195