I too think that JQPlot will be a good way to go for rendering graphs -
looks simple enough to code for and the documentation is good.

However, one of the big things with the graphs that mahara currently
displays is the complexity/slowness to generate the data for the graphs
in the first place.

In the past the mahara system would run cron jobs to generate the data
and then generate the resultant graphs as an image file all in one step
so that later the system could call these images to display on page
load.

If we are to make the graph generator be a javascript one then we should
probably still generate the data via crons for the existing graphs and
then save that data into a table so that JQPlot (or whatever) can call
the JSON formatted data via ajax on page load.

  Use newer and flashier graphing framework to generate graphs in Mahara

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  As discussed at 4th Developer Meeting - pChart may be a suitable
  framework for rendering graphs in Mahara, e.g. in the admin section,
  but we found out, that it+s not for commercial use, so it's not Open
  Source and cannot be used in Mahara.

  There is a suitable replacement: eZ Components - Graph component,
  because it generates images so the graphs do not require Javascript to
  be enabled.

  eZ Components are released under New BSD License:
  http://ezcomponents.org/introduction/license

  More info about eZ Components - Graph component:
  - Documentation at http://ezcomponents.org/docs/tutorials/Graph
  - Examples at http://ezcomponents.org/docs/api/trunk/Graph_gallery.html
  - Download at http://ezcomponents.org/download