Hi Gregor,

That's a good point. The CSS identifiers don't change that often.

Though they do occasionally change. In Mahara 15.04 we're rewriting the
whole front end to use the Bootstrap CSS framework, so there may well be
some big changes coming. Perhaps what we should do, is add additional
classes specifically as a "handle" for skins?

But yeah, this might be useful to discuss at the next dev meeting. I'll
add it to the agenda.

Cheers,
Aaron

  Skins break on major version upgrade

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  One problem with the Mahara skins feature, is that it is highly
  dependent on modifying the underlying theme, and templates. And these
  both change, sometimes radically, from one major version of Mahara to
  the next.

  This means that skins will break when you do a major version upgrade
  (unless the skin author edits the skin to be compatible with the new
  version). And that could provide quite a disincentive for people to
  upgrade their Mahara site.

  I'm not sure what the best solution for this problem is, so I'm
  opening this bug partly to discuss the issue.