** Changed in: mahara/18.04

  MariaDB fails to upgrade - unable to CAST as JSON

Status in Mahara:
  Fix Committed
Status in Mahara 17.10 series:
  Fix Committed
Status in Mahara 18.04 series:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  There is a problem in htdocs/lib/db/upgrade.php on the line

   if (is_mysql() && version_compare($db_version, '5.7.8', '>=')) {

  The problem is Mahara recognises both MySQL and MariaDB as being
  is_mysql() and their numbering systems are different (where MariaDB is
  around 10.* while MySQL is around 5.*)

  While both are mostly compatible with each other there are some slight
  differences and in this case CAST as JSON is not yet available in
  MariaDB.

  In this case we need to check which type of is_mysql() we have and if
  it is not 'MySQL' then we need to return the if statement as false
  rather than true.