A NOTE FROM THE E-MAIL ADMINISTRATOR:

DEAR WPAA MEMEBERS, IF YOU WANT TO SHARE AN ARTICLE, PLEASE CONSIDER
SENDING THE "LINK/URL" RATHER THAN THE ENTIRE ARTICLE. THANKS.

Mssg # 1 from: Sanjiv Kumar ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

I am from CBSH 1991 batch. I require the services of a senior rice
scientist for UP. All the charges will be paid by me for consultancy.
Please inform me about the scientists in the field of rice cultivation.
It is urgent. please send it to all wpaa members. thanking you. sanjiv

Mssg # 2 from from Kapoor, Nishikant
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Folks, I am trying to get in touch with our 'QuizMaster' - N P Singh,
Tech, 93 batch but the emails to his address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) are
all bouncing. Could someone please ask him to get in touch with me ?
Regards, Nishi

Mssg # 3 from:Ajit K. Singh" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Dear freinds, Please beware of any mail originating from the African
continent (or for that matter from anywhere)about some huge amounts of
money being stashed away in there and u cd help in retreiving it in the
bargain ur cut being 30% of some 20-40 M US$. I narrowly escaped it!
Many were not so lucky. 15 US citizens have lost their lives. Pl go
thru the following URL for a report on this con-artistry.
http://www.detroitfreepress.com/money/tech/mwend19_20020419.htm Best
regards, Ajit Singh 80'techmech

Mssg # 4 from: Rajiv ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Article: Asians do not live long in America: Study

ANI [ TUESDAY, MAY 14, 2002  2:15:49 PM ]

WASHINGTON: Asians planning to emigrate to North America, need to think
twice before making a final decision.

According to a new study to be published in the June issue of the
Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, prolonged living in
America can be harmful for the health of Asians, with the risk of their
developing high blood pressure directly linked to their period of stay
there, reports HealthScout.

Mark S Kaplan, an associate professor of community health at Portland
State University in Oregon, and study author, says that high blood
pressure is an important measure of health because it is linked to an
increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease and stroke.

The research included data from nearly 2,000 Asian immigrants who were
part of the 1996-97 Canadian National Population Health Survey.

It was found that Asians who settled in Canada had lower rates of
hypertension, or high blood pressure, than the general population.
However, as time went on, their rates of high blood pressure equalled
or even exceeded that of the general population.

Moreover, Asians living in Canada for three years or less had
hypertension rates of below three per cent, compared to about 10 per
cent of the local population aged 20 or above. After five years, more
than seven per cent of the immigrants had hypertension; after 10 or
more years, 13 per cent had the condition.

"Asian immigrants arrive in fairly good health relative to the general
population, but within 10 years begin to show the negative health
effects of exposure to North American culture," says Kaplan, adding
that one weakness of the study is the high blood pressure was
self-reported, rather than gleaned from actual blood pressure
measurements.

So what is it about American and Canadian culture that leads to high
blood pressure? A diet of high fat and low fruits and vegetables is one
factor, Kaplan says. Another is obesity, which is linked to
hypertension.

Kallyane Sok, health programme coordinator for the Philadelphia-based
Southeast Asian Mutual Assistance Association Coalition, blames a
sedentary lifestyle of immigrants, many of whom continue to eat
traditional foods from their native country.

"Here, people drive a car everyday everywhere. Over there, they walk.
Many people who came here are peasants or farmers. They used to get
exercise running their farm and doing chores," she says.

According to Kaplan, rather than simply prescribe pills to lower blood
pressure, education and social service programmes should deal with the
lifestyle changes immigrants face that lead to potential health
problems.

"I think the challenge for us as a society is how to reduce the harmful
effects of the acculturation process, as well as preserve the positive
effects. Research has shown assimilation can do some good. Immigrants,
for example, tend to smoke less when they come to the United States,"
he says